If I could only eat one type of cuisine for the rest of my life, I would surely pick Mexican. Whenever we are debating take out, I always default to our local Mexican restaurant on Seamless (Sabor a Mexico shout out!). In order to keep the fiesta going at home, I recently made the most delicious beer-marinated steak tacos. The marinade is extremely easy to put together and really penetrates the meat. You need to let the steak marinate for a couple of hours in the fridge, so this recipe does require some foresight, but it’s totally worth the extra prep time.
Beer Marinated Skirt Steak Tacos
- 1 Light Beer
- 4 Tbsp Lime Juice and Extra Lime Wedges
- 1 lb Skirt Steak
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Large Plum Tomatoes
- S + P
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 Canned Chipotle Chile in Adobo (Chopped)
- 8 Fresh Tortillas (Corn or Wheat)
- Avocado and Radishes, Sliced
- Crumbled Cotija Cheese (you can also use Parmesan)
- Place the steak in a resealable plastic bag. Add enough beer to cover the steak. Add 1 tbsp of lime juice, salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper. Let sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Cook chopped onion and garlic in oil until translucent. Let cool.
- Prepare a grill over high heat. We use this indoor grill pan. Open a window or all of them, trust me.
- Cut tomatoes in half and grill on both sides until charred. About 5-7 minutes.
- Turn down grill to medium. Remove steak from marinade and pat dry. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides. Grill to medium rare – about three minutes per side. Remove and let rest on a cutting board.
- While your steak is resting, blend onion, garlic, tomatoes, chili and 3 tbsp of lime juice in a blender until smooth to make a salsa. Add 3 tbsp of chopped cilantro and pulse.
- After steak has rested 10 minutes, cut in 1-inch slices against the grain.
- Grill tortillas until slightly charred. About 30 seconds per side.
- Construct your taco with steak, cilantro, cotija cheese, avocado, cilantro and radishes. Top with the greatest homemade salsa ever and enjoy.
- You’re welcome.