I am a major morning person, except for when it comes to fitting in breakfast. I’m usually out the door with coffee and don’t bother to eat anything until lunchtime. However, I do have one fail-safe grab-and-go recipe that works for every season. I call them Anything Scones, because you could literally add any seasonal fruit, herb or chocolate to the recipe and it will never fail you. The scones are always moist, delicious and in my experience go well with bodega coffee and the M15 bus.
- 2 Cups of Flour
- 1/2 Cup of Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup of Unsalted Butter, Frozen
- 1/2 Cup of Heavy Cream
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup of Fruit (Blueberries, Pom Seeds, Raspberries, Peaches, Chocolate Chips, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment. If you don’t have a Silpat, do yourself a favor and order one.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients. Then (baking tip alert) grate, yes grate the frozen butter into the dry ingredients using a box grater. Then use your hands and mix together until it forms a coarse meal. Grating the butter really helps achieve the right texture.
- In another smaller bowl, mix cream, egg and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to the dry meal and mix together. The mixture will be wet. Then gently fold in bonus ingredient (I recently used blueberries). Be careful not to overmix!
- Use floured hands to work the dough mixture into a ball and flatten into a disc on the Silpat. Use a sharp knife and divide equally into 8 pieces. Gently split the pieces and place them around the Silpat with space in between each slice.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden.
- Eat a scone a day.
- Feel slightly bad about above.